Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Verandah


Here's another old house I enjoy whenever I pass. One of many things I like about these heritage houses is that they often have verandahs. To me a verandah suggests a style and pace of life quite different from today. A verandah is much more than a porch in that it extends right across the front of the house and often around the sides as well. It is quite different from a patio or a deck or a balcony and comes from a time when activities that required good light were best done outdoors. I remember a summer once when I travelled as a boy through the mid-western states of America. For a few glorious days we stayed in an enormous old house with a verandah on all sides that overlooked stretches of the greenest lawn and was shaded by towering oaks. As I drifted into sleep those summer nights I dreamt I'd one day have such a house.

No comments:

Post a Comment